» Student Credit Cards
Student credit cards are designed to allow young cardholders to build up a credit history. These cards usually have incentives like discount vouchers upon sign up, reward schemes and low minimum payments. Some card issuers will increase the initially low credit limits, when a student has shown that he or she spends responsibly and pays off the balance in full and on time.
Range of Cards:
Visa offer a range of credit cards for students, as does MasterCard. Visa’s Citi Forward requires no co-signer, offers an incentive of a reduction in APR when purchasing is conducted responsibly over a period of time. Young cardholders can earn 100 ThankYou reward points when they pay in a timely fashion and remain under the credit limit, when spending. A further 1000 redeemable reward points can be earned when opting for paperless, online statements within the first 3 months of opening the account.
Student Credit Card Review
Wells Fargo’s College Visa Card is slightly less generous and is effectively only open to pre-existing customers of the bank. The introductory rate is 5.9% APR for 6 months on purchases, then rises to 13.15% to 20.15%, depending on credit scoring at the time of application. There is no annual fee to pay.
Journey Student Rewards Card is issued by Capital One and offers 1% cashback on all purchases and a 25% bonus on cashback can be earned when credit card bills are paid on time.
The Discover Student Card offers a generous 0% APR on purchases for the first 9 months, then a variable APR rate between 13.99% to 20.99% depending on the student’s financial status and creditworthiness. There are up to 5% cashback bonus points and also up to 20% bonus discounts with participating retailers as an incentive.
Chase +1 Student Card is a credit card from MasterCard, while MasterCard themselves offer their Standard card to anyone who wishes to build up a credit history.
Prepaid cards from MasterCard aimed at students include the BillMyParents Reloadable MasterCard, which doesn’t require credit checks and which can be locked by parents, if they wish to. There is no annual fee payable but it is not a card designed to build up a credit history.
Student credit cards are generally for those with no credit or limited credit histories. Because student credit card offers and terms can change frequently you will want to review the credit card applications for details about terms and conditions of the offer. For more info see also, student credit card revolution.
- The new Discover it card is out to change the way people think about credit cards.
- Fair…No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee & no pay-by-phone fee. No late fee on your first late payment. And we won’t increase your APR for paying late.*
- Generous…5% cash back in categories that change throughout the year up to $1,500 in purchases with free and easy sign-up each time. And 1% cash back on all other purchases.*
- Plus a Cash Back ConciergeSM who guides a free, personalized online tour to help you get the most rewards for how you use your card
- Flexible…Choose your own due date and pay up to midnight ET online or by phone
- Human…talk to a real person any time with 100% U.S.-based service
- Safe…Because you’ll never pay for unauthorized purchases with our $0 Fraud Liability Guarantee.
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for 6 months. Then the variable purchase APR applies, currently 12.99%-18.99%. *Click apply for Terms & Conditions.
|Intro APR||Intro APR Period||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Balance Transfers||Credit Needed|
|0%||6 Months||12.99% to 18.99% Variable*||No||Yes*||Excellent|